CHICAGO — Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson spoke with the media during the opening session of Big Ten Media Days. The Daily Iowan‘s Pregame Staff will post highlights, interesting quotes and lines from each coach’s press conference.
- On secondary replacing four starters: “We were last in the league in pass defense, we need significant improvements..the strength of our football team will be upfront.. but Chase Dutra will be leader of secondary”
- On Antonio Allen dismissal: Team feels it was an isolated incident with one individual, believes prior to and since they’ve been strong with leaders, group collectively moved on quickly
- Jason Harrison injury: Believes they will be three or four deep at wide receiver, saying it’s a huge loss, and expressed relief in the fact that he played freshmen last year. Also expressed confidence in QB Nate Sudfeld.
- Transfers from UAB: “It’s a slight unknown. Marqui Hawkins broke a wrist, we haven’t seen him much in scrimmage. I think Jordan Wallace and our running backs will do well.”
- On changing culture at IU: “I’d like it to be better, I think our fans deserve some more W’s, we’ve played some exciting ball, but if you’re coming to the game you want to see us win, we need to win football games.”
- On strengths: “This is the first year we have every coach back on staff, two of them turned down great jobs, the strength of our football team is our line of scrimmage, we run a spread attack, but if you can’t block people of front you’re not going to do much.”
- On defense: “Last two games we held our opponents under 20 points, we haven’t done that a lot, we need to do it more often.”
- Redshirts: “I think this class we signed is the most talented, but we got to a point last year where we redshirted some good players.. it’s a good group of guys..there’s about 8 of those guys, most of them will be second team, this is our deepest team.”
- Nate Sudfeld’s injury injury: Mentioned they lost their top two QB’s in same game, next game passed for 11 yards followed by 24 the next.The next four games, he believes the team changed team right there and started fighting for themselves. He credited the experience with creating the depth that makes the 2015 team strong.